The Pantry

The Pantry provides practical assistance to support people who are struggling financially.

People who live in the inner north and inner west of Brisbane who have a HealthCare Card or a Pension Card can come along to The Pantry for free fresh fruit, vegetables and bread. There is no need to make an appointment. Please bring along your HealthCare or Pension Card when you visit.

Visitors to The Pantry will also have a chance to talk to us about how else we might be able to help.

The Pantry is reliant on a minimal amount of funding and is supported by the work of a team of volunteers and the donations of many local people, churches and businesses including Banneton Bakery at Ashgrove, Fruity Capers at Toowong Village, Brumbys at Red Hill, OzHarvest and SecondBite.

What do we offer?

Food vouchers
Non-perishable food items
Fruit and vegetables

Visitors to The Pantry can also use the onsite internet café. The Pantry is open from 10:30am on Mondays. The Pantry is very popular, we recommend arriving close to our opening time to make sure you can be looked after. 

Morning tea is provided free of charge and is a good chance to catch up with others in the community. Counselling and referral is also available.


For other help try
Lifeline 131114
St Vincent De Paul 1800846643
Salvation Army 137258




Please note Pantry has changed location temporarily to the Newmarket Hall

Pantry is closed over the break until Monday 20th January 2020.

Where: Newmarket Hall, 212 Ashgrove Avenue, Ashgrove
When: Mondays (Mondays only during the temporary move)
Commences: 10.30am
Cost: FREE to eligible people
Contact: 3198 4410

Who is eligible for this service?

Applicants need to:
be receiving a government pension or payment; and
live in the local area (inner north and inner west of Brisbane).

What does it cost?

This is a free and confidential service funded by the Commonwealth and State Governments.
Any financial donations or gifts of grocery items are always welcome.

How to apply

If you require assistance financially, please contact Communify and speak with a Family Support Worker about your needs.