Below is a list of restaurants and services providing support to international students, who may now be unemployed and struggling to get by.
This information is current at 14 April 2020 and is subject to change.
- Spice of India (385 Gympie Road, Kedron) is offering free plates of vegetarian curries for students that are in need.
- Griffith University is selling a box of food for $15 (valued at $50) across all campuses.
- Sankalp Indian restaurant ( Shop 2/493 Ipswich Road, Annerley) is offering a free meal for international students, homeless people and others in need.
- Selected IGA stores are offering $15 dollar box of basic food (pasta, sauce, rice, fruits and vegetables).
- Punjabi Indian Restaurant (419 Upper Edward Street, Spring Hill) is offering a free meal for international students.
Accommodation support and legal advice on visas
The Brisbane Student Hub (BSH) – 07 3337 5400, 28 Dibley St, Woollongabba.
The BSH provides crisis response, information, advice and referrals on healthcare, employment, budget management, accommodation and legal services specifically for international students. BSH now delivers consultation online and by phone.
1800QSTUDY (1800 778 839)
- 24/7 accommodation advice, public transport and travel advice employment advice
- health and wellbeing referrals
- legal referrals
- complaint referrals
Mental health support
One Door Mental Health – 02 8737 5566 () Based in New South Wales but can offer bilingual support services for anxiety and emotional support over the phone.
Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636. Provides support and advice over the phone.
Reach out.com Provides online resources and support forums.